Wednesday 15 June 2011

Oooops...

So, I've done it again. Something else I've learnt about myself this year - I can't seem to commit myself to diaries or blogs. Therefore, inevitably, my New Year's Resolution of keeping my blog up to date has failed.

Anyway, just thought I would add a small blog entry to let everyone know my thoughts on... Coming Home! It's only 6 weeks now. I can barely believe how fast this year has passed. I now know why Project Trust encourage a year away. It seems that these past few months I've had the opportunity to do and see things (which I'll write about in other blogs!) which I wouldn't have been able to at the beginning of my gap year.

It's funny how much I've surprised myself. I'm a little worried about coming home. I can 'kind of' remember a brief talk on Isle of Coll for Training some 10months ago about 'Culture Shock'. What was strange to me (at the time) was the fact that most volunteers experience more severe 'Culture Shock' on their return home. Well, you can probably imagine what I was thinking.... "NAHHHHH :S" - haha! 

But I can totally understand now. When I left the UK, I knew I would be coming home in a year. I knew that my friends, my family and everything else would still be there by the time I finished my year out. But leaving Mauritius, I really don't know when I'm going to be coming back. I've built up friendships, a home, a work routine. Will I be able to come back in 5 years time and just fit back in??

I don't know. But what I do know, is that I'm coming back. Definitely :) Whether it be for a couple of weeks next year. Or a few years... 

No comments:

Post a Comment